In 1994, New Charter University (NCU) was founded under its original name, Andrew Jackson University (AJU). The vision for AJU originated with Robert McKim Norris, Jr., and D. Michael Barrett, both graduates of the Cumberland School of Law and colleagues at a Birmingham, Alabama law firm. After completing his law degree, Norris embarked on an intense program of self-directed study. He compiled a personal library of thousands of books, videotapes, and audiotapes, and he concluded that he gained more education through ongoing, independent learning than he ever learned in formal classroom experiences. Norris and Barrett founded a university together and named it after U.S. President Andrew Jackson to symbolize their belief that any determined individual can succeed in life, despite adversity.
In 2015, Global Heritage Education (GHE) acquired NCU. GHE is founded by a group of educators, entrepreneurs, and business executives who are passionate about learning. Members of GHE have successfully established universities, colleges, and schools worldwide, including the United States, Malaysia, China, and Australia. GHE believes individuals can improve their lives through education. NCU is carrying out this mission by offering flexible, supportive, and affordable online education to students from around the world.
In 2019, Bottega, LLC acquired NCU. Bottega is a Salt Lake City, Utah corporation/training institution. Bottega’s best in class curriculum delivers programs that are backed by The American Council of Education (ACE). This accreditation recommends college credit be awarded for Bottega courses at many universities.
Our mission is to leverage advances in innovative technologies and educational models to provide high-quality, flexible, and affordable distance education programs so students can attain recognized degrees that advance their careers and improve their lives.
This includes employing:
- Outcomes-based education in which course length is measured by demonstrated achievement of learning outcomes through carefully crafted objective and performance assessments;
- Technology-assisted learning environments, where students learn at their own pace and according to their personal learning style;
- Peer-to-peer learning communities in which students share their knowledge and skills and help each other obtain recognized degrees and credentials;
- Pedagogical models in which the faculty serve as mentors and coaches as well as subject matter experts;
- Evaluation systems that measure student achievement solely on whether students meet standards that are rigorous, clearly articulated, and recognized; and
- Affordable tuition models.
We aim to chart a new course to more freedom, flexibility, and financial stability without sacrificing work-life balance. New Charter University exists to provide a quality education that is accessible and of high value to an international audience. New Charter aims to be innovative and flexible in providing strategic, higher education programs that meet the needs of today’s workforce. In order to accomplish this, we will hold true to our core values, to:
- Offer the highest quality, most affordable education possible
- Create an engaging and intellectually stimulating culture
- Approach challenges with humility and perseverance
- Embrace change fearlessly and drive innovation
- Operate with integrity and openness, and
- Value diversity.